Name, location, and business year
1. The society bears the name "Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung" (Association for Aerosol Research). 2. Location of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung is Bad Soden. 3. The business year is the same as the calendar year. 4. The society has been entered in the register of societies.
Aims of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung
1. The Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung pursues the following aims
to promote all scientific branches of aerosol research,
to promote by means of meetings and publications the spread of information on an interdisciplinary basis amongst members and the public at large,
to encourage international cooperation and exchanges of information,
to recruit new members and to encourage training. 2. The Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung directly and exclusively pursues aims of a non-profit making nature in accordance with the non-profit making decree of German tax law.
1. The Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung has the following categories of members: a) ordinary members b) honorary members c) student members, and d) supporting members. 2. Ordinary members may be individuals, who are professionally engaged in the field of aerosol research or a related discipline. 3. Student members may be individuals, who are studying at institutes of science and technology, specialized colleges or equivalent institutions here or abroad and that are concerned with the subjects mentioned in § 2, section 1. 4. Supporting members of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung may be individuals or corporate bodies, associations and corporations that are willing and in a position to support the aims of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung morally and materially. 5. Honorary members may be individuals, who have promoted science and technology in the field of aerosol research or allied subjects, e.g. by a) outstanding personal research or inventions, or b) holding leading positions in prominent undertakings, or c) outstanding success in teaching. 6. Decisions on the admission of members and modifications of the type of membership will be made by the Management Board. 7. Members pay subscriptions in accordance with a subscription ordinance issued by the Management Board and requiring approval by the meeting of members (see § 5). The subscriptions are due in advance on January 1st of every year. If membership ceases through resignation or exclusion, the liability to pay the subscription for that year is not affected. 8. Members are entitled to take part in the functions organized by the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung. 9. Ordinary and honorary members are entitled to vote at the meeting of members and can be elected to membership of organs within the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung. Voting by giving written proxy to another member is permissible. Members voting by proxy are to be regarded as having attended. One member may at most represent 10 votes. Entrustment of a right to vote that is subject to instruction is not bound by this limitation. 10. Rights of members are suspended, if their membership subscriptions are more than six months in arrears. 11. Membership lapses a) on the death of individuals, or the dissolution of a corporate body or non-incorporated society b) by a letter of resignation to the end of the current year sent by registered mail to the Management Board, or c) by exclusion. 12. The exclusion of a member is decided by the Board at large with a majority of three quarters of its members present after the person concerned has been heard.
1. The Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung has the following organs:
Meeting of members
Management Board in the sense of § 26 of the civil code
Board at large, and
Meeting of members
1. The statutory meeting of members is to be called once a year by the Management Board giving six weeks’ notice and providing an agenda. 2. Extraordinary meetings of members are called by the Management Board or on request by at least 20% of members eligible to vote. § 5 Section 1 is applied accordingly. 3. The meeting of members is particularly responsible for
alterations to the constitution
approval of the Management Board
approval of the budget
approval of the activities and cash report of the Management Board
dissolution of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung. 4. The meeting of members forms a quorum, if it has been called according to § 5 section 1 and if at least 10% of the members eligible to vote are present. 5. Resolutions are passed by a majority of members present. Dissolution of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung requires that three quarters of the members present declare themselves in favour of dissolution. Dissolution is only possible, if this point has been addressed in the invitation to the meeting of members. 6. The minutes are written by the keeper of the minutes elected by the meeting of members and signed by the keeper and the leader of the meeting.
1. The entire membership
elects the Board at large by strike ballot and
decides about amendments of the constitution by strike ballot. 2. The strike ballot procedure is as follows:
A committee consisting of 3 members of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung to be in charge of the ballot is to be formed. The chairman of the committee cannot be a member of the Board at large.
3. Election of the Management Board
The committee calls upon the entire membership to nominate candidates until a specified deadline. Between the day of this ordering and the deadline, 10 weeks must pass.
Any nomination is valid that has been submitted by the majority of the Management Board or by at least 5 members and that has the written consent of the person nominated.
After the deadline has passed, the election documents are sent to all members. The ballot contains a list of all candidates in alphabetic order and a circle in front of each name. A candidate can be voted for by putting a single cross in the corresponding circle. The time allowed for returning the ballot-paper must be at least 10 weeks starting from the day of sending out the documents.
The election committee counts the votes. The candidates are ranked according to the number of votes they obtain. The nine persons with the most votes are elected as new members of the Board at large. If the ninth and the tenth person on the ranking list obtain the same number of votes, the decision is made by drawing lots. 4. Amendment of the constitution
The majority of the Board at large or a group of at least 10% of the membership can initiate amendments of the constitution.
The members must be notified of the amendment planned via the Management Board at least 6 weeks prior to a meeting of members and the amendment must be discussed in the meeting of members, where changes to the draft can be decided by the majority.
Subsequently the amendment planned is sent to all members, and the decision about approval or rejection of the amendment is made by strike ballot on the basis of a simple majority of the ballot-papers sent back.
1. The Board at large consists of the President, the Vice President, the Secretary General, the Treasurer, the past President and 5 other members. The various branches of aerosol research should be appropriately represented on the Board at large. The members of the Board at large must be members of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung and are acting in an honorary capacity. One seat of the GAeF board is intended for student members including post-graduate students. This seat is given to the student member with the highest number of votes. 2. Members of the Board at large - with the exception of the past President - are elected for two years by the meeting of members. They may only be consecutively elected on two occasions. 3. The Board at large elects the President, Vice President, Secretary General, and Treasurer from amongst its own members for the duration of their term of office as members of the Board at large. They are the Management Board in the sense of § 26 of the civil code. Two of them may represent the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung externally. 4. The President takes the chair at meetings of the Board at large and the meeting of members. If he is absent, his place is taken by the Vice President. 5. The Board at large is particularly responsible for:
executing the decisions of the meeting of members
organizing conferences and exhibitions
formulating implementation regulations for this constitution
drawing up the subscription ordinance
preparation of the budget
admission and exclusion of members
presentation of an activities and cash report once a year at the statutory meeting of members. 6. The Board at large may set up committees for the performance of specific tasks. All members of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung are liable to be called upon to serve on these committees. 7. The Board at large forms a quorum, if all its members have been invited and notified of the proposed agenda with a 2-weeks’ notice and if at least 5 Board Members are present. Decisions are made by a majority of the members present. In the event of a tie, the President has the casting vote. In case of urgency the President may arrange for postal voting to take place. 8. The Treasurer may be an ordinary member of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung without being elected as an Board Member. In this case the Treasurer is not a Board Member in the sense of § 26 of the civil code, but he is appointed by the Board Members for the next period. The Management Board at large consists now of the President, the Vice President, the Secretary General, the past President, and 6 other members.
1. The assembly of members appoints two auditors in every business year to audit the activities and cash report of the Management Board. It may appoint members or third parties for this purpose.
1. The Board at large may instruct third parties to run the affairs of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung. 2. The Management is bound by the decisions of the meeting of members and by the instructions of the Board at large. The Board at large supervises the activities of the Management.
Use of assets
1. Surpluses may only be used for the purposes of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung. They may not be distributed to members. No person may benefit from administrative expenditure that has nothing to do with the aims of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung or from excessive compensation. 2. On their resignation or on dissolution of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung, members will receive no more than their cash deposit and the ordinary value of any contribution in kind. Membership contributions and donations will not be returned. 3. On dissolution of the Gesellschaft für Aerosolforschung, the available assets must be used exclusively for purposes beneficial to the community in the technological and scientific field. Bestowals to members of the association are excluded. Before distribution of the assets, the consent of taxation authorities must be obtained (§ 13, section 2 of the non-profit making decree of 24.12.1953).
The first constitution was issued in Bad Soden /Ts., 18 October, 1972.
The constitution was rewritten in Oxford, 8 September, 1992.
Changes: Blois, 31 May, 1994.
Changes: Ghent, 17 January 2006
Last changes: Salzburg, 14 January, 2008.
Only the German original is legally valid.